Tuesday 8 May 2012

Hired Thugs – Battle of Riverwood

As Valeria returns to Riverwood, laden with loot from bandits and Talsgar the Wanderer she spies a few burly Nords walking towards her from the Sleeping Giant Inn.
 
A feeling of apprehension arose in her, but she walked forward. Sure enough, it was bad news. These were apparently hired thugs sent to teach her a lesson. They were all wearing heavy armour, two with two handed weapons the other with sword and shield.
 
Still on level 1, Valeria was clearly out matched by these guys. All she could do was run for it. The whoosh of a two handed weapon gave her extra incentive to sprint away and jump a fence to get out of the immediate danger. Maybe there was a better way out of this, she waited until they got close enough and used “Voice of the Emperor” on them and two of them sheathed their weapons, the third continued on with the attack.

How dare they! Time to fight back. She ran down towards the rivers edge and use her new evasive technique to outfox the pursing hired thug. All arrows were put into him and he was still up and running with about 33% of health. These guys were tough too! Then she remembered the paralysis poison. If she could coat her sword with that, paralyze this guy, and then hack into him, it may just be enough to take him out of action. The plan worked brilliantly. As the poison wore off the thug, he tried to rise to his feet but it was too late. The finally killing blow came as a cut scene. Ha! Serves him right.
 
On his body was a note saying that Orgnar at the Sleeping Giant Inn had hired them to teach me a lesson. What! I only stole a bag of coins from under his counter…there is no way he saw me do that….hmm.

As this news sunk in, the two other thugs showed on the other side of the river. A battle which now stretched out to around 30 minutes occurred. I quickly ran out of arrow recovered from the dead thugs body and ended up using my Sparks spell to range them both down. It took ages. They had a lot of health and I constantly had to move around using the river as a way to slow them down and gain distance from them. It was a pretty intense fight with two of them, but once one died, the other was easier to manage and it was another great victory despite still being on level 1.
 
I now had enough gold generated by selling all the loot from the fighting to buy training for archery 5 times. Gladly I leveled up and had enough ranks to push me midway through level 5. Missed out on training a bit then, but it can’t be helped. All level bonus’s were put into health. Now I need to find enough gold for another 5 training sessions.

I went back to the Sleeping Giant Inn and eyeballed Orgnar. He pretended everything was okay. If I hadn’t seen the note, I’d have never known. I told him all about these thugs that I beat up alongside the river so I think he got the message. Back off Orgnar, try that again and I’ll come back and personally run you though!

No comments:

Post a Comment